Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Study Group, 1/5/16

Judo:
Yesterday I taught deashi to my drilling partner. We started with the foot-sweep-to-control drill and worked that a good long time, then worked on getting 4 feet on a line, and completing the throw. My buddy was reacting funny when I would try to do the throw on him, because he's still getting used to it; and that made the throw a little harder for me to do, so I used something Pat taught me years ago - let his foot almost all the way back down, and stop it just before he expects it to touch back on the mat. It worked beautifully over and over, and he'd fall immediately (and more dramatically than he would have otherwise) whenever I'd do it.

Once he had a feel for the throw, we did a good bit of deashi-only randori, focusing on getting the off balance as the guy is stepping backwards, by gently exaggerating his motion and momentum. We talked about the "maximum efficiency, minimal effort" concept, because he kept trying to off balance me against my motion instead of with it. He picked up on it quickly and we had some productive play!

BJJ:
We drilled triangles and D'Arce chokes again, then rolled for the remainder of our time. It was good and exhausting! When we were done, though, we were horsing around, and ended up chipping my tooth (crown actually)! Fortunately the dentist was able to grind and polish it down some so I didn't have to replace it. Still put me in a foul mood though, haha!

3 comments:

  1. sounds like a class I wish I could have attended

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, then you could have accelerated our awesomeness!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete