Saturday, January 9, 2016

BJJ, 1/8/16

We started class by doing a standing pummeling drill, and a discussion on some situations where pummeling well is useful. When we were pummeling competitively, I stunk at it!  Apparently even the other white belts in class had wrestling backgrounds. One gave me a tip about not flaring my elbows when I did it, which I was apparently doing.

The main class lesson was about leg separation and guard passing. We worked one pass, and an alternative for when bottom guy gets savvy. While drilling the passes, I felt like my top pressure is way better than it used to be, especially my shoulder pressure.

We had four rounds of live rolling which wore me slap out. I think a strength of mine is surviving on bottom more and more. I end up in bad positions pretty quickly with more experienced guys, but I'm getting better at fending off / frustrating their attacks. Of course that's all while striking isn't allowed - I might be way worse off if they could hit me!

Oh, we started the rounds standing again, and I got a nice, smooth kouchi gake / maki komi takedown on one guy. The other guys just tended to pull guard rather quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment