Thursday, January 14, 2016

Study Group, 1/14/16

It's been a great week - I've gotten to do 3 days of judo study group this week!  Today I worked with Mitch again. First we did a lot of uchikomi for the throws we've been working on for review and reps. So for osoto gari, deashi barai, hiza guruma, and seoinage, we'd do 9 uchikomi's and throw on the 10th one. My hiza guruma felt better today, and Mitch's osoto was feeling better.

Then I taught him kosotogari. The first time I showed it to him, I nailed it and got a great throw. Apparently that was because he didn't know what to expect, because then we had to go over being a good training partner, and stepping naturally, even when you know what's coming. We worked on kosoto for about half the time, and got just a brief intro to ukigoshi, which has never been one of my good throws. We watched Kyle's video below, and once we work on it a little more, I'm sure we'll get it.

We ended with a discussion about throwing into a controlling position, like Pat's been talking about lately. We played with that idea during "trading throws" randori. We'd move around and take turns throwing, and try to control uke enough that we could transition into newaza.




No comments:

Post a Comment