Monday, January 11, 2016

Study Group, 1/11/16

Judo:

Today I worked with my other drilling partner, Josh. I mainly drilled ippon seoinage today. I got a lot of reps in!  And my ippons today were some of the best I've done. Admittedly, I think some of them were more like ukigoshi, but I was really happy with most of them. Josh has a good osoto gari and deashi barai already, so I worked my counters for those throws. I tried a few reps of hiza garuma too, but I've never been great at that one, and it really needs some work. We had some extra time, so I was trying to remember some of Pat's koshiki no kata coolness. I think the closest I could recollect was sort of a sumi gaeshi. I'll have to look up the videos on those too. My plan next time is to work on hiza until I feel more comfortable with it. I'm gonna try this approach:




BJJ:

Josh is getting ready for the Houston Open coming up next month, so we drilled a good bit of guard passing, pressure, back taking, arm dragging, and all manner of transitions. I was mainly a grappling dummy for him, but I got to drill lots of the guard pass series we worked on in Friday's class.

2 comments:

  1. I (and all of my contemps coming up thru the ranks) sucked at hizaguruma. But then again, so did my teacher. He told us that the only reason that hiza was in first kyo was so we will have practiced it enough by black belt that we might be able to throw it every so often. That's a bunch of malarkey.

    But it wasnt till I started listening to KG's instructions about this thing and actually taking them to heart (he was telling us to practice like in the video you posted above) - after practicing that way for 4-6 months I could find it in randori fairly often but it still sucked in nagekomi practice. but after another few months of practice like that, i could pretty much do it at will in nagekomi or randori.

    I think it is taught early because it is one of the easiest and most reliable techniques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I'm gonna try to shift my paradigm that way....stay tuned!

      Delete