Sunday, July 19, 2015

Karate Homework, 7/19/15

I figured I'd log my solo practice times as well, since my karate lessons will be sporadic.

Tonight, I measured out where my feet should be for front, back, and horse stances, and put tape on my mats. The goal is muscle memory, so I can naturally find the right stance. 

Stances:
Stayed in front, back, and horse stance, for 30 seconds each side, 3 times (so 90 seconds in each stance, for each side in the case of front and back stances).

Walked the floor in front and back stance, 12 steps each, total.

Strikes:

  • Punches: 20 each side, all from front stance.
    • Focused on keeping elbow close to body throughout the punching motion (for the pulling hand too).
  • Backfists: 20 each side, all from horse stance.

Blocks:

  • Rising block: 20 each side, all from horse stance.
  • Down block: 20 each side, all from front stance.
  • Inside block: 20 each side, all from front stance.
  • Outside block: 20 each side, all from front stance.
  • Knife hand block: 20 each side, all from back stance.
    • Focused on proper chambering

Kicks:

  • Front kicks: 20 each side.
    • Focused on proper foot angle, and pulling the foot back quickly after the kick
  • Side kicks: 10 each side.
  • Back kicks: 10 each side.
  • Roundhouse set up (Leg lift only): 10 each side.
  • Roundhouse set up (lift and rotate only): 10 each side.

Movement:

  • Hip rotation: 20 each side.

Katas:

  • Heian Shodan: 3 repetitions.
    • Focused on the 3 tweaks mentioned yesterday.
  • Heian Nidan (to the first kiai): 3 repetitions.
I'm also working on the "relax-tighten-relax" concept in each technique. It's tough to stay loose throughout, especially when practicing slowly.


No comments:

Post a Comment