Saturday, July 11, 2015

Judo, 7/8/15

Our rank group practiced the following:

Juji gatame - Cross body arm lock. This one needs to become even more ingrained in my muscle memory.

Tsukikomi jime - Thrust choke. This one is still a little senseless to me. It isn't a strong technique, so I'm just looking for the principle in it. I learned I could use my fist to finish it if I'm not getting the gi choke.

Sode garuma jime - Sleeve wheel choke. Nothing to note here. Easy-peasy.

Ude garami - Entangled arm lock. All variations. BJJ calls each thing something different, but I like how Judo terminology doesn't care as much about what direction or shape it takes.

Ude gatame - Arm or shoulder lock. Same deal.

For the main lesson, we practiced Sankaku, or triangle choke. This is another one I need to make second nature. I need to be able to do it without thinking about it as much. I also need to remember to angle my body enough. I do remember to angle out, but forget to do it more when I'm not quite getting it.

At green belt, our curriculum begins requiring self defense techniques. Tonight we covered a couple techniques I recognized from the goshin jutsu kata, and two others. They were defenses from a standing rear naked choke (ushiro jime) and bear hug (over the arms, kakae dori), then from a bear hug under the arms, and a full nelson.

I liked James' description of the techniques, and how he differentiated between the way we practice and the way they might be used in real self defense.

I rolled with two people:

The first time was a yellow belt, that I usually hold my own against. Tonight was no exception. I think he got me with an Americana (I need to start thinking in Judo terms). I got him with a collar choke, and once with dojime (diaphragm choke, body choke, whatever - I squoze the oats out of him while he was in my guard).

The second guy I rolled with is 50 pounds heavier than me and bench presses 335. So he's always a big challenge. After being manhandled again and again, I finally steamrolled him backwards, and made a quick transition into north/south. FINALLY! For the first time with this guy, I wasn't just trying to survive. He actually kicked his legs in desperation a little as I suffocated him with my belly. Time ran out before I could finish it, but I have a new strategy for him now!

No comments:

Post a Comment