Monday, July 13, 2015

Judo, 7/13/15

Tonight the rank group I was in worked on yellow belt throws and counters/reversals.

All five of my throws felt really good tonight. The white belt I was working with did great too. #JitaKyoei  

Ogoshi - counter with an "inside cut to throw". Basically, uke steps around and throws with an ogoshi of his own.

Ippon seoi nage - counter with a hip block (with the sleeve-grip hand), and moving around in front of your partner.

Seoi otoshi - counter with a sprawl and koshi jime (hip choke).

Osoto gari - counter by planting the left leg back, and hopping around backwards to throw with an osoto of your own.

Morote gari - this is the only counter we didn't get to look at tonight. The syllabus says it's a "sprawl and turnover to pin". I'll have to wait to see this one.

For the class lesson, we did the same 4 techniques from goshin jutsu that we did last week (see previous post).

Lastly, I did one round of light standing randori. My partner and I both got some solid techniques. I was having more trouble with my footsweeps than he was, but I did get a couple counters on him. I've also been wondering if something would work, and I got to try it tonight in randori: A number 13 from junana hon kata in aikido (tenkai kote hineri) into a tai otoshi. It was really cool. The standard grip break led into the 13 well, and made a beautiful air fall for the tai otoshi (the kind you see in fancy demos)!

For the first time since I started judo again, I felt like I'm getting close to being ready for my yellow belt rank verification. A couple more techniques to look at, and a lot more reps, and I should be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment