Monday, March 2, 2009

What I'm Reading 3-2-09

I just finished Karate-Do Nyumon: The Master Introductory Text by Gichin Funakoshi.
Am I glad I read it? Yes.


Will I read it again? I will refer to it again, especially as I try to learn the tennokata omote.


Reflections? Much of the material was repeated verbatim from Funakoshi's "My Way of Life" autobiography, so I was able to skim a lot. Some descriptions of techniques are unclear, some are just plain incorrect. The pictures also sometimes conflict with the written instruction.


Recommended? Overall, yes.


2 comments:

  1. Doesn't he have another book as well? Karate Do Kyohan? What's the difference between them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, he also wrote Karate-Do Kyohan, which I also have, but I haven't started on that yet. Nyumon is subtitled "The Master Introductory Text" while Kyohan is subtitled simply "The Master Text".

    Upon flipping through Kyohan, it seems to me that it has a more objective (as opposed to anecdotal) history of Karate-Do. Also, the lion's share of Kyohan is devoted to step-by-step descriptions of kata (173 out of 252 pages, or almost 69%). Kyohan also seems (at a glance) to contain more conceptual discussions than Nyumon.

    ReplyDelete