Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thursday Thoughts 3/5/09

I'm a big believer in studying self-defense. When you need it, when seconds count, you may not have time to wait for the police, or the kindness of strangers to help you. I believe that to the extent possible, we have a responsibility to prepare and provide for the protection of ourselves and our families. Today's quote speaks directly to this idea:

In ourselves our safety must be sought,
By our own right hand it must be wrought.
~William Wordsworth

Having said all that, the quote did make me think of how ultimately, I am unable to protect myself and those I love from every conceivable threat. As a Christian, I take comfort in God's utter trustworthiness. Check out this post by Pat, and consider the following scriptures as they relate to self-defense.

Psalm 4:8
In peace I will lie down and sleep,
for You alone, O Lord,
make me dwell in safety.

Isaiah 2:22
Stop trusting in human beings (that includes myself!),
who have but a breath in their nostrils.
Why hold them in esteem?

On a semi-related note, something I read this morning reminded me a lot of Judo, haha:

Psalm 36:11-12
May the foot of the proud not come against me,
nor the hand of the wicked drive me away.
See how the evildoers lie fallen -
thrown down, not able to rise!

No comments:

Post a Comment