Sunday, March 15, 2009

Judo/BJJ Study Group, 3/15/09

Tonight Cody brought his friend Christian over, but he ended up just watching...I guess checking it out to see if it would be something he'd be interested in. Cody and I warmed up with a few reps of some throws. Deashi barai, kosotogari, osotogari, hiza garuma, ukigoshi, AND I tried to show him my 2 new throws, kouchigari and seoinagi. Nothing much to note here, except that at one point, Cody caught me with a beautiful osotogari. It felt about like when Pat did it to me for my yellow belt demo - I came way up off the ground. I guess he just got the timing spot on, because it was crazy...seemed effortless. Surprised me as much as it did Cody, I think.

We pretty quickly moved on to ground randori. Let me just confess right off the bat: My escapes sucked tonight. Particularly the basics - bridge&rolls, uphills, elbow/knees, etc. For one thing, Cody had some kind of otherworldly munegatame thing going on tonight. His mune was tighter than the skin on an apple. I couldn't get ANY space to escape, or even improve my position. Well, it gives me something to work on. I did (barely) pull off an uphill escape tonight, and I got a handful of hip bump sweeps and a couple of scissor sweeps. Even my upa's were not having much luck, and those are usually easy.

As far as submissions, Cody made me tap to a rear naked choke right off the bat, but his bread and butter tonight was the Americana. After a failed Kimura, I got him in an armbar (with both of us face down), one wakigatame (Yes, still an armbar, but I got this one the way Pat taught it in class, from side control), and countless Ezekiels (okay, not "countless", but I sank 4 or 5 of them before he started catching me setting it up). Oh, I got one katagatame from mune as well.

We got to play for around 2 hours, which was great! I think next time we get together, we may be drilling basic escapes. My #1 fan (wife) had her camera out, so she took a few pictures. Be warned - we're noobs and it just might show up in these pics.

Cody has me in kesagatame


Cody trying to pass


Cody's seoinage


Me trying sasae-tsurikomi-ashi


Me trying to pass


Cody setting up a sweep

Cody's nice ukigoshi

No comments:

Post a Comment