Friday, March 6, 2009

Heian Shodan

The only katas that really stuck with me from my days practicing Tang Soo Do are (the Korean versions of) Taikyoku Shodan and Taikyoku Nidan. One of the karate-do katas I'm trying to get familiar with on my own time at home is Heian Shodan. So far, the couple of things tripping me up are the things that differentiate this basic kata from Taikyoku 1 & 2.

First, there's a hammer fist or back fist, or something, as the fourth technique of the kata. This was never among the things I worked on back in the day. Same with the other thing that's most awkward to me - the sword hand blocks at the end of the kata. I think in a couple weeks Pat and I are going to do a karate lesson, so maybe it will get cleared up then, or in a subsequent lesson.

In the meantime, here's a video of the kata, for my reference:

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you'll love the bunkai for heian shodan. Not your grandpa's block-punch at all!

    The hammer motion that is #4 in the kata is a release#1 or #4 (as in aikido). work thru that one in your head!

    p

    ReplyDelete