Friday, January 9, 2009

More Bauer To Ya

I'm a fan of the television show "24". All you haters out there: Yes, I realize it's implausible that one guy can accomplish so much, especially in 24 hours. I still love the show. The writers do a good job of upping the ante with each season. I'm only on season 6 (I've been catching up with DVDs).

Anyway, I was thinking...many of us practice martial arts with at least a partial eye toward self defense, even though it's (for most of us) unlikely we'll ever be in a situation in which we'll need to use the skills we've learned to defend ourselves. In my line of work (banking/IT), for instance, I'll need self defense skills far less than say, a police officer, body guard, or bouncer.

Which brings me back to Jack Bauer. I've seen him in plenty of armed and unarmed altercations (He's got CQB skills out the wazoo), but I've never seen him employ a martial arts technique, per se. Sure, he's probably well trained in combatives of some sort, but I would think, given his line of work, the frequency of his need to fight, and the safety of the free world riding on whether he wins or loses, you'd think he would use the other 364 days of the year he's not dealing with a crisis to learn judo, or jiu-jitsu...maybe muay thai... or at the very least, some krav maga / KAPAP! I'd love to see him throw a terrorist with uchimata or something once in a while instead of just throwing haymaker after haymaker.


1 comment:

  1. Regarding bankers and IT guys probably needing self defense less tha cops...

    http://www.mokurendojo.com/2008/03/sad-and-senseless.html

    ReplyDelete