Saturday, December 13, 2008

Judo Anniversary

I got married 11 years ago today! Still got to go to Judo and Aikido. Hot dawg!

It was SOOOO cold in the dojo today. After a brief warmup, we drilled the entire ground mobility cycle for a while, complete with turnovers (turning the bottom man to his stomach by pushing his arm into his face, and turning him to his back by reaching across his face, grabbing his far arm, and putting weight into him). After a review of escapes from kesagatame, we worked on some escapes from munegatame. This consisted of shrimping, bridge-n-roll, and some neat entanglements (leg and body).

Some things for me to remember about escapes:
1)
I need to remember that a leg entanglement can come from a “body entanglement” attempt that doesn’t quite work out.
2) Use top guy’s momentum – when I shrimp and he tries to reacquire position, I can use his momentum to help throw him off of me, or whatever I decide to do.

We also tried some very light ground randori during the mobility cycle, although I think Nathan and I are still trying to just remember the moves too much to be very competitive at this point. Still fun though.

Something I remembered today from last week (but forgot to include in my notes), is the “over, over, under, under” pattern in the ground mobility cycle. It goes something like this: when moving from kesagatame to munegatame, one leg goes under the other. To switch from there to backwards kesa, the one leg goes under the other one again. To transition to mount, one leg goes over, and a leg goes over again to land in backwards kesa on the other side. Pattern repeats.

No comments:

Post a Comment