Saturday, December 27, 2008

Friday Night BJJ

Tonight another of my nephews came over, and we worked on a bit more Judo. More deashi barai, but mostly escapes from kesagatame, which are still kind of hit-or-miss for me. We also tried a couple of takedowns we got from a Gracie basics DVD. This nephew is a semi-professional steer wrestler, so I was pretty worn out by the end of our time. My friend, Josh, gave me a call and was available to roll, and my wife is currently out of town, so I told him to come on over.

Josh has a lot of BJJ experience, and I have exactly none. I showed him the groundwork I've learned so far in Judo, and we moved into a bit of ground randori. I'm not really skilled enough to be any threat though. Josh rolls a lot harder than what I'm used to (so far, I'm really just learning the moves), which is ok...but once again I was shown how badly I need to get in shape. We would drill for a while, then randori for a while. Randori was really taking it out of me. I was exhausted! He showed me a variation of the bridge-and-roll escape I learned, which is kind of cool. I was also shown the Americana, Kimura (from mount or with the opponent in guard), arm triangle choke, and an armbar (from top and bottom). We drilled that stuff a few times, then turned our attention to Roy Dean's "Blue Belt Requirements" DVD, and practiced a couple of sweeps demonstrated there. Those were fun, but will really take some getting used to.

I used to think it was all just "rasslin' ", but since I started Judo a few months ago, I'm beginning to gain an appreciation for the sophistication of grappling techniques in both Judo and BJJ. I'm really thankful for Ibuprofen tonight...and, at least physically, I'm okay that I don't have Judo in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment