Sunday, December 7, 2008

Addendum to Judo Notes

I just realized there were a couple of items I wanted to include in my last Judo training log. I want to remember these, so I'm tagging them on:

1) Pat talked about how the escapes we practice are not really "escapes" at all. We're not trying to escape, we're trying to turn the bind in which we find ourselves into a more advantageous position. (Remember: "Position before submission")

2) I wanted to record that this week was the first time I've noticed myself getting a LITTLE more comfortable on the ground. One thing that kept me away from Judo for so long is a lack of interest in groundwork. For one thing, it just doesn't feel natural to me to fight on the ground. I do however recognize the practicality of it and the need to develop ground defense skills. For another thing (the main thing), I've always been uncomfortable with people in my personal space. A BJJ friend of mine told me "You'll get used to it", and I think I may be beginning to...but it's still awkward for me. Time and practice will fix that, I guess. I'm actually starting to develop more of an interest in groundwork...it's getting more fun. It's so cool to see how some of the techniques work. I still like the throws more, but maybe it's all starting to coalesce into one thing...

One other thing about ground work: It's EXHAUSTING for me!!! I gotta get in shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment