Friday, August 21, 2015

Judo, 8/19/15

We had a short judo class because a couple of girls were testing for their green belts at the end of class. For our rank group, we did all yellow and orange belt throws. At the end of class, we had 2 rounds of ground randori.

First round: I went against a yellow belt that's normally pretty spry. I was able to use some things I learned from some Ryan Hall DVDs I recently watched. I felt good about this roll, and felt I dominated 80% of the time.

Second round: I went against a guy that outweighs me by 55 pounds. He has a reputation in our club for going a little harder than what's called for in randori, so I wasn't looking forward to it. He just crushed me most of the time, but for 30-45 seconds, I was able to use spider guard to keep him off me. I'm about to watch Stephan Kesting's Spider Guard Masterclass DVDs, so I'll be better equipped to deal with these big lunks!

It was interesting to watch the young ladies do their green belt demos. I should be doing mine in the next 2-3 months. There is a LOT of material covered!  No to take anything away from the girls that tested, but after seeing that demo, I feel pretty good about my technique for when I test myself.

One thing I struggle with is this: If I'm a green belt, should I still be getting dominated by a yellow belt (2 ranks below me) even if he does outweigh me by 50+ pounds?  I think my technique is better while drilling, but randori is a different story. In this particular case, I'm pretty sure he does BJJ as well, so that might account for some of the trouble. In any case, I don't want to only be able to deal with people my size or smaller, so I'm about to really focus on holding my own against much larger guys. Especially since we have 3 of them in our club!

No comments:

Post a Comment