Thursday, August 13, 2015

Judo, 8/12/15

Last night our rank group worked on orange belt counters. We only got to about 80% of them though.  I did ok, but I need way more reps. We were running a little behind, so we didn't do a whole class lesson. There were two rounds of randori:

The first round was hop randori, with about 30 seconds of ground randori after the throw. I went against a shorter white belt with a wrestling background. Again, the different body type is tripping me out, but we both did ok. I did get a nice butterfly-ish sweep on him, but it wasn't from butterfly guard. I felt like I did okay keeping my wall up and not letting him pass my guard (much).

For the second round, I went against the same yellow belt from Monday night. I find, especially with him, I'm trying not to play a strong closed guard any more, because I know it works well. I'm trying to explore some other things, and found myself playing a little spider guard with him. It's not a guard I ever do, and I only know one attack from it right now. When I went for the triangle, it was awkward and he saw it coming and escaped. I'm becoming more comfortable opening my guard though. I swept him twice again (and he swept me once). In the end, I got him in S-Mount, and he tapped to my ummmmmmm......"efficient use of gravity" on his chest.


No comments:

Post a Comment