Monday, February 2, 2009

Judo Study Group

I haven't had a chance to post this training log yet, but Friday night, my nephew came over again to play with some Judo. Knowing my belt demo was Saturday morning, I wanted to get in as much extra practice as possible to make sure I was comfortable with everything.

We drilled my 5 throws, ground mobility cycle, and 6 escapes for a while, then decided to do some "positional randori". That's really fun. My nephew is far more athletic than I am, but I get more practice at the technical parts of it, so that evened the playing field a bit.

One thing that gave me trouble was when I found myself in his guard. "No problem", I thought. "I'll just do the one guard pass I know right now and..." However, he had me squeezed so tight, I couldn't create a bit of space! He laughed at me, taunted me, but try as I might, I couldn't get even get his guard open! The next day, Pat described something I should try next time that happened. It sounded a bit...."ungentlemanly", but I'll give it a shot and see if it works, haha! We had a lot of fun rolling, and may try to do it again this Friday.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! There's nothing ungentlemanly about reaming his...

    ahem, I mean, "applying that technique to develop sufficient leverage to extricate yourself"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opening the guard can be a challenge. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete