Saturday, February 7, 2009

Judo 2-7-09

Today we got started with the ground mobility cycle, then moved into the next set of ground techniques I need to learn, the Hold-Down Cycle. One of the cool things introduced in the hold-down cycle is katagatame. It's a really unpleasant hold/choke to be on the receiving end of. I need to remember that the real pressure for katagatame comes from your hips, not your arm muscles. The katagatame we worked on most was done from kesagatame, but Pat also showed me a very cool "backwards variation" from munegatame.

Next we went over two submissions: wakigatame and udegaruma (Americana). Pat showed how to work these in a combo - if the guy pulls out of one, he's setting himself up for the other. I'm amazed at how many things there are like that in judo and aikido. It's pure genius. I need to remember to extend bottom dude's arm in wakigatame in order to apply the pain, not crank down on the elbow. I need to try to crush his shoulders together as well.

We covered a few new escapes from katagatame too: Millstone, Uphill, and Legs-Over. I need to remember that a fist between my head and top-guy's can save me from being choked out by katagatame. Also, if he sinks it before I can defend, a framed elbow to his neck can encourage him to back off some. That can also assist in some of the escapes.

For standing practice, we went over how to get a hiza garuma out of an osotogari attempt that goes sour. It's another example of how you can't defend against two directions at once. If he blocks your osoto, he's set up real nice for a hiza. Neat stuff. I could tell, when Pat did that to me, my mind would kind of lock up and say "What's about to happen here?" Like when your computer is trying to think about too many things at once and it just freezes. Yeah, that was me.

No comments:

Post a Comment