Monday, September 2, 2013

Judo, 8/31/13

We spent most of our time with ground randori. Focus was on survival while being crushed. Pat showed me how to get my feet under my butt to get my back off the ground and allow space for my lungs to expand. Neat trick! We worked on creating space that caused bad guy to try to close the space; then using bad guy's recovery attempt to throw him and escape.

My biggest takeaway was that when I'm in a survivable position (top or bottom), I don't have to try to progress. If I try something just because I feel like I have to, I may be giving up an advantage or giving myself a disadvantage. This doesn't apply to sport application, but it was a valuable lesson.

We spent the last 15 minutes or so working on ukigoshi, one of my least favorite throws from the last time we trained judo. Thinking about the off-balance as a "3-pointed bump" helped a lot (right and left arm, plus front footfall).

No comments:

Post a Comment