Thursday, May 28, 2009

Study Group 5/25/09

I'm on vacation from work this week. While I'm staying pretty busy around the house, I've still been very fortunate to be able to work in some extra training. If you count study groups, I've been able to train 4 times over the long Memorial Day weekend!

The other day I met my buddy Mario, who's just joined our dojo, at his Tang Soo Do dojang. We had the place to ourselves, so it was nice not having to worry about space. We only rolled for a dozen rounds or so...I prevailed maybe 3 times, and those were all near the beginning. As I got exhausted, Mario kept going strong and winning more and more. But I maintain one of my losses was due to his unexpected use of some chin na finger bending, or some such. Speaking of "chin" another loss may have been due to a knee to my chin. You really have to watch those strikers!

So, what observations did I come away with?
  • My lack of fitness/endurance is really hurting my judo. Not just costing me rounds, but interfering with my learning process. Enough of that. "Game on" for getting in shape, as they like to say on The Biggest Loser. I recently listened to an interview of Loren Christensen on the Paladin podcast. He was asked how much physical conditioning plays a part in a self-defense encounter. He responded that since most encounters last a few seconds, endurance and conditioning are much smaller factors than your training, HOWEVER, conditioning will enable to to train better, more often, and more efficiently, so it does have an indirect effect on the potential encounter.
  • I really need to learn how to deal with opponents with superior strength. Lots of times, my arms get pinned and I can't do anything at all.
  • I still suffer from weak guard passing and sweeps. I need to substitute some of my time spent rolling with drills.
  • Watch out for knees and finger-locks!

No comments:

Post a Comment