Sunday, May 24, 2009

Study Group 5-23-09


Last night I had a bunch of my family over to visit and some stuck around to watch the UFC fight. My 2 nephews and their friend were among them so we had an impromptu Judo/BJJ study group. One nephew (Cody) and I try to practice regularly, but my other nephew (Chase) and the friend (Trey), are way newer to grappling. Unfortunately, last night we didn't work on learning or improving anything - maybe we were pumped up from the fights, but we just started rolling full speed, full power. We didn't accomplish anything impressive, all of us being so new, but it was a lot of fun.


Chase got me with an armbar once, I got him with an Ezekiel the next round. Trey is incredibly strong, so he was tough for me to manage. I need better technique! I also submitted him with an Ezekiel, and he got me with a rear naked....strangle. It wasn't a blood choke, but it hurt enough to make me tap. Cody and I didn't face each other last night, but he and the other guys went quite a few rounds. I mostly let the young folks have their fun. What did I learn? Nothing new, however, I did notice I was able to stay a bit calmer and not panic while in disadvantageous positions. That's progress, I guess, but I'd also like to learn to not end up in those positions so often!

2 comments:

  1. My hat's are off to you. I happened across you today by sheer luck. My origins center around you submission dummy for sale (which if is still for sale, I'd love), but I'm inspired. I have been debating over logging my path through martial arts and I'm sold. After reading just a few posts I should have been doing this from the start. I thank you for that little push.

    Great stuff.

    Dummy still for sale? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean, thanks for checking out my little blog! I'm glad it's provided motivation to start your own! I find it's helped me a) internalize what I recently learned, and b) it's nice to be able to refer back to my previous notes (or to refer my fellow newbies to).
    Funny you should mention the grappling dummy - my wife was JUST "asking" me yesterday when I was going to sell it and get it out of the way! Please email me at trpierson@yahoo.com and we'll discuss it!
    I look forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete