Monday, November 24, 2008

Down Times

No training logs or observations from class this week, as there WAS no class this week. When I have to miss a week of class for whatever reason, it always kind of bums me out. For one thing, I need all the mat-time I can get, so I can get the hang of this stuff. The main reason is it's just FUN, and I really could have used the diversion, this week in particular. Lots of work-related stress, etc.

I wish there were more ways to train in Judo and Aikido that didn't require a partner. I have a grappling dummy (a UFC product, which is basically like a heavy bag with a few contours to simulate someone's waist, head, hips, etc). I try to work with that a few times a week, however, it's not very good at giving feedback. On the upside, all of my techniques seem to work on it, haha. I'm planning on buying a (person-shaped) throwing dummy soon, so I can at least keep the throws fresh in my mind as well. Those should help SOME with Judo, but for Aikido... well, there's the walking (solitary) kata we do. I need to be more consistent with that.

Ideally I suppose I'd have a friend who was into Judo and Aikido, lived nearby, and liked to train at 4:30 or 5am daily. No prospects so far. None likely for the future either. Ah well. Can't have everything I want.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, man i've been wanting one of those for years now. If i could find a solo way to practice nijusan and hanasu that could emmulate training with an uke i'd be selling them out of my garage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats one of the big problems with martial arts. Finding training partners who are as commited as yopu are can be a big deal. Its something everyone goes through im afraid. Keep up the good blogging

    ReplyDelete