Friday, June 12, 2015

Judo, 6/8/15

I went back for a second trial class at the Judo place I visited last week. This time it was all groundwork. My shoulder was hurting a little already, and I think I tweaked it during class - it was in severe pain after I left. I need to remember I'm 40 now.

Anyway, there was a ton of drilling (scissor sweep, hip bump sweep, a few collar chokes, and a few guard passes).  When we did live rolling at the end of class, I went against the college kid I'd been drilling with, a guy about my size. I did okay; I'm not used to judo guys trying to just pin me...so I got caught once under a heavy mount and got suffocated till I tapped. I nearly got a triangle, but wasn't in a great position to go for it, so he squirmed out of it. I had a couple of mount escapes , and I did submit him with a collar choke just before we finished.

I like the judo here - just need to figure out if the schedule is going to work for me. I'm also curious to see how much groundwork vs throwing they do. I'm far more interested in throwing than grappling at this point.

I may go try the nearby(ish) shotokan karate school next week, before I make a final decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment