Saturday, August 1, 2009

Judo, 8/1/09


We started class with newaza randori. I was able to make Pat tap twice the first two rounds we rolled (once with an Ezekiel, once with a collar choke I saw Mike Swain do on a video yesterday). I reckon that was before he was good and awake, because he paid me back with interest after that! I don't think I came close for the other 10-15 times we rolled.


I'm still having trouble with takedowns from kneeling, and I'm still having trouble doing anything while I'm on bottom being crushed. I need to get used to being on the bottom so I can survive better there....think more clearly, and move more effectively. Something exciting is in the works that may provide me more opportunity to practice that, but more on that as it develops.


For tachi-waza, we worked on a variant of seoinage. Pat calls it "Gregor-nage" after a guy from Germany they used to train with. It's a seoinage entry set up by uke's reaction to tori knocking uke's grip off his sleeve.

2 comments:

  1. Old age and ruthlessness trump youth and vigor. I pulled out the old "distract him with an irrelevant question and jump on him" trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about "vigor", and youth is slowly slipping away...
    But I'll have to remember that trick!

    ReplyDelete