Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Aikido, 8/15/09


We started with tegatana, with an emphasis on trying to describe how the mats felt under our feet.


Next we worked on Releases 1-8. Sometimes it seems like the more I learn, the more I suck at this stuff! This was one of those days. We camped out on 1, 3, 5, and 8, working on being "invisible" to uke. Release 8 really had my number and I kept getting screwed up with it.


Junana was next, and we went through 1-5. We talked about what the non-atemi hand's role in these techniques is, and that was an entirely new concept to me! I always think of that hand as the "off" hand, or just the "stay off me" hand. Pat talked about how that arm also needs to stay unbendable, and the push is done with that hand too, not just the atemi hand. We spent a Little time talking about a failed Ushiro-ate, and turning it into a separation / brush-off.


I wish I would have typed this up sooner, because now my notes on the "Cool Ninja Technique of the Day" make almost no sense to me. That'll teach me. I know it was from Sankata, but maybe Pat can chime in here with a name and/or description.

1 comment:

  1. nah, it was not a sankata thing that we played that day (if I remember right) It was judt a weird thing.

    1) uke steps in and grabs both of tori's wrists.
    2) tori shifts to the side as uke steps in, shifting uke's balance
    3) as uke tries to recover, take the arm on his recovery side and do release #4, putting you behind uke

    4) uke might twist and turn because the weirdness is uncomfortable, but tori ends up with kotegaeshi or hijikime.

    so, it's ryotedori, ushiroate (around the wrong side) and kotegaeshi

    why couldn't you remember something that easy?

    ReplyDelete