Monday, June 22, 2009

Judo 6/20/09

We transitioned from our aiki lesson into judo by looking at 4 entries into osotogari (2 on "my side" and 2 on "his side"), and the otoshi and guruma motions in each of them.

We went through a few repetitions of the ground mobility cycle as a review/warmup, then reviewed the hold-down cycle. I was badly in need of a review of that, and definitely need to practice that more at home.

We reviewed escapes next. We played with the bridge-and-roll escape from munegatame and the "step over" escape from katagatame. For the bridge-and-roll, I need to remember to take out the space/slack (hold top guy closely to me). I also need to remember to get my bottom shoulder out from under him while shrimping.

For the step over escape from katagatame, I need to remember to bridge onto him and push his head into the mat. I need to use the "stepping over" motion to get my bottom arm out from under him.

Good, good lesson. I felt the review did me some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment