Monday, January 14, 2013

Obligatory Reflection

I don't have that much to say about my training in 2012, but in the interest of keeping a record of it:


  • I think 2012 may have been my most inconsistent year yet, in terms of attendance. Frustrating. Redoubling my efforts to train more in 2013.
  • That said, I have felt a little more effective than I used to. One lesson that stuck with me from 2012 is that the magic, effortless aiki hocus pocus is great and all, but the bottom line is that my aiki has to work.  This was mainly highlighted by our increased use of a knife during kata practice. 
  • Nothing really happened on the teaching front in 2012, but I'm going to keep trying to build my local club in 2013. Teaching for free, if anyone near Baton Rouge is interested!
  • On a related note, my dear wife finally decided a few months ago that she wants to be forged into a living weapon! Exciting!

What I'm looking forward to in 2013:
  • I may finally make shodan (first degree black belt). Not that I will have "arrived", but it's a landmark, nonetheless!
  • Once I get shodan, I plan on adding another art to my formal study. I still can't decide if it will be karate or judo/BJJ.
  • I will receive my NRA instructor's permit (hopefully by April), so I can teach their basic pistol course and concealed carry classes.
  • I plan on digging in to knife and impact weapon (jo, baton, kubotan, cane, etc) training this year. What was a tangent in 2012 will be pursued with more intent in 2013.
  • I would really like to get Kazoku Dojo up and running; I love teaching this stuff! Maybe I can fish prospective aikido students from groups of my pistol students.


No comments:

Post a Comment