Monday, June 27, 2011

Aikido, 6/18/11

Yes, I know - I'm behind on my training logs again. I'll catch up soon!

We loosened up by walking through a few karate stances before doing tegatana, then moved on to releases. We played with release 7 as a brush-off, and it was surprising how effective it was at creating space. Next we added a "glancing" elbow strike to uke's ribs as we passed under his arm, then played with a "hip chock" to keep uke off of us. It was a great exercise in "aiki-strikey".  We played with these "gravy" techniques as alternatives to pushing uke in the face or chest on the way through, which tends to stick your feet and kill your mobility (or at least be less efficient).

Next we played with releases and randori "through a stick" about 2 feet long. Uke and Tori both held one end of the stick rather than each other's wrists. The stick was like a magnifying glass that helped demonstrate principles that are harder to see otherwise. The contact was more "slippery", and it really makes you move your feet correctly. Maybe it was just the stick, but my footwork during randori felt like it was getting better.

We moved on to an introduction to junana 14-17, my next rank material. We played with 14 with an "unhooking him from the ground" feel, 15 with a garuma motion which made it feel WAY lighter and more "aiki-like". We looked at 16 on either footfall, and 17 was just a big puzzle (we explored how it works as an otoshi).


This was one of those mornings I REALLY didn't feel like making the 1.25 hour drive to train, but I'm so glad I did. Seems that's always that's always the way - the classes I don't feel like going to end up being the best ones.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to have found your blog. Pat Parker is advertising it. The only problem I see is that Kyle Sloan is on the constant read list and my blog is no where to be found. Shock! Injustice!

    Who you train with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff Todd, keep up the training buddy! I'm glad you've found and caught the Aki fever like the rest of us. I'd trained with Sensei Geis since 1995 and I'd never looked back. Akido helped me see things at a different angle wheter it is life, business, or fighting. The best thing about this stuff is you ca never stop learning. There is always something new to discover. Anyways, good stuff you are posting here. I really enjoyed it. Good luck with training and keep it up.

    Johnathan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, gentlemen! Strange, I'll be happy to add your blog to my list :-)
    I'm pleased to say I'm a student of Pat Parker!

    ReplyDelete