Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Judo, 8-7-10

We started out with ukigoshi. I felt only the tiniest bit better about it than I used to. This throw always gives me fits.

Seoinage was next. This is also a tough one for me. So many things to remember! I need to get lower and closer to uke.

We looked at a trick to defeat someone’s stiff arm: slap the stiff arm for the seoinage, and if it doesn’t go, circle back the other way for a sode.

This led into a discussion about bunkai for the first couple of steps of heian shodan (karate kata), of all things! I won’t even try to explain how, but the two were pretty similar. We ended up playing with that bunkai for almost the rest of our time, and man it’s cool. For the last part of the lesson, we looked at the first few movements in sanchin kata and associated bunkai.

I’ll post more on this later, but karate is becoming more and more interesting to me these days, for a few reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment